Assistant Corporate Controller
THE ORGANIZATION: Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Lifting Solutions is a privately held, artificial lift products manufacturer, distributor and service provider with a focus on progressing cavity and reciprocating rod pumped wells. An ARC Financial portfolio company, Lifting Solutions was founded in 2014 and has quickly grown to become the largest independent artificial lift company in Canada. Starting with the client in mind, we understand our client’s drivers and always look to identify ways to add value better than others. With high levels of employee ownership, Lifting Solutions has built a responsive and sustainable business with employees who care and have a vested interest. It is this unique organizational culture that has established a strong foundation for future expansion.
MISSION: We are deeply passionate, high performance team delivering client-centric, value-based solutions.
VISION: We believe in making it EASY from the wellhead to the Boardroom as the Solutions Provider for our clients by living the Lifting Solutions culture! We have become the company of choice for clients and colleagues by transforming ourselves and our team.
• High Performance Team: Together everyone achieves more through discipline, accountability, respect, collaboration and effective communication
• Client Centric: Through listening and understanding we make it EASY.
• Innovation: Through continuous learning and challenging the status quo.
• Winning Mindset: As a team we are deliberate at executing with excellence.
MANDATE: The Assistant Corporate Controller works to support corporate initiatives and the growth of the consolidated organization.
REPORTS TO: Reporting to the Corporate Controller this position offers the opportunity for the ideal team player to work with an exciting management team and offers the potential for future growth within the organization.
• Lead the preparation of the monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and Management’s Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), and bank reporting.
• Oversee the preparation of Senior Leadership Team internal financial and operational reporting including the distribution of the reporting package, and preparation and maintenance of key reports.
• Critically evaluate all financial information prior to preparing financial reports.
• Meet all monthly, quarterly and annual reporting deadlines related to external Banking, Board of Directors and Audit Committee financial reports;
• Lead a team of three by managing the efficient and timely processing of centralized accounts receivable and accounts payable functions.
• In collaboration with the Corporate, Operations and Plant Controllers, assist with monitoring product line actual to budget/forecast results to ensure that issues are identified and corrected on a timely basis.
• Ensure the timely and accurate execution of all month end close process, including the completion of adjusting entries, cost allocations and balance sheet reconciliations.
• Serve as primary contact for external audit coordination for the interim and year-end audit process;
• Oversee the timely completion of the month end close and ensure all teams are held accountable to meeting corporate deadlines;
• Oversee timely balance sheet reconciliations by the accounting team, including reviewing certain accounts and performing reconciliations of higher risk accounts;
• Prepare closing entries, including consolidation and translation of foreign subsidiaries, non-controlling interest, and foreign exchange entries;
• With direction from the CFO and Corporate Controller, formulate, implement and manage internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures;
• Support the Corporate Controller in preparation for the annual corporate insurance renewal;
• Support the treasury function by preparing a weekly cash forecast and initiating foreign exchange transactions.
• Support the Corporate Controller with filing of corporate tax returns for all Canadian and foreign entities;
• Support the Corporate Controller with acquisition and post-acquisition integration activities;
• Support new systems or project selections and their implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective; and
• Ad hoc duties and projects as assigned by the Corporate Controller.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration complimented with a professional accounting designation (CPA).
• Exceptional competency of ASPE accounting principles and practices and preparing financial statements.
• Experience with Microsoft NAV and Jet Reports is considered an asset.
• Experience in the Oil & Gas industry is considered an asset.
• Coding experience considered an asset.
• Minimum 5 years experiences with Big Four or National Accounting firm
• Demonstrated ability to supervise and lead a team.
• Knowledge of ERP systems and working with big data to generate insight.
• Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques.
• Proven record of strong professional written and verbal communication skills.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
• Strong attention to detail and places emphasis on high levels of timeliness and accuracy.
• Superior communication skill particularly in challenging situations where all information may not be known.
• Strong analytical, problem solving skills and decision-making skills.
• Appreciates energized, passionate entrepreneurial cultures that are focused and driven to grow through organic and acquisition means and someone who takes great satisfaction in hard work and ownership.
• Desires and promotes a culture of continuous improvement and fosters openness and adaptability.
• Possesses an innovative approach to problem solving with the confidence to bring forward new ideas.
• Demonstrated ability to work with initiative and creativity.
• Highest standards of personal integrity supported by open and honest communication.
• Strong desire to work as part of a high performance team. This means you put the results of the team over self and seek out accountability.
• You are self-motivated and committed to quality. You are constantly thinking about the next step and the next opportunity.
• Next generation accounting orientation towards the use of RPAs and a demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for improvement.